Two classmates, over the course of three years, leave an indelible mark on each other’s hearts.
10 Reasons why you should watch
• This adaptation of “The Butterfly Lovers” is based on historical fact.
• Symphony Theatre collaborated with an international team of directors, actors, composers, lyricists, singers and playwrights from the US, Australia, Taiwan and Malaysia.
• Thirty actors and actresses pour out their hearts into this large-scale production.
The female lead, Zhu Yingtai, is portrayed by Jessie Chung.
• Peking opera and martial arts are incorporated to promote Chinese culture.
• Hired an American music producer to create the theme song and the soundtrack.
• Realistic sound effects and professional soundtrack accompany the play.
• Stage design incorporates exquisite ancient Chinese elements and props.
• A variety of elegant, refined, majestic and authentic period costumes are worn on stage.
• Stage backdrops created using the latest 3D technology for stunning, lifelike environments.
• Show your kindness and love by raising funds for cancer patients.
Following the success of the stage play adaptation of the most celebrated classic Chinese novel The Dream of Red Mansions, Symphony Theatre now presents the stage adaptation of a poignant, true love story from ancient China, The Butterfly Lovers. Dedicated to restoring the historical accuracy of the story, Symphony Theatre conducted thorough research by combing through historical documents.
Symphony Theatre collaborated with an international team of directors, actors, composers, lyricists, singers and playwrights from the US, Australia, Taiwan and Malaysia. Thirty actors and actresses pour out their hearts into this large-scale production.
In the stage play “The Butterfly Lovers,” 36 actors and actresses pour out their hearts into this large-scale production. The female lead, Zhu Yingtai, is portrayed by Jessie Chung, an international singer and actress who has made a career in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Australia. The male lead, Liang Shanbo, is portrayed by American director and actor Paul Lee, who studied performing arts and music in the U.S. The cast also includes “Last Teardrop” lead actor Isaac Cheah, “The Dream of Red Mansions” lead actor Terry Lim, “Tearless Sky” lead actor John Lee, and “Music Box” lead actor Marcus Choot.
The stage design of “The Butterfly Lovers” focuses on a naturalistic style, immersing the audience in a true-to-life atmosphere through a lifelike LED backdrop, realistic sound effects, exquisite ancient Chinese props and refined, majestic and authentic period costumes, allowing the actors and audience to travel back in time to experience Zhu Yingtai’s hardships through the journey of love.
In addition to ancient Chinese elegance, “The Butterfly Lovers” also incorporates other Chinese elements such as Peking opera and Chinese martial arts to promote and preserve the fine traditions of the Chinese.
Symphony Theatre also invited John Lee, an American music producer, to create a theme song for “The Butterfly Lovers,” resulting in “Winding,” a song that tells the timeless love between Liang and Zhu. Two songs included in the soundtrack, “First Sight” and “Promise Me,” further tell of their true feelings for each other.
Let Symphony Theatre take you fluttering through the air as you experience this dreamlike love story that is sure to touch your heart.
Is this fantasy or our true fate?
As the tears stream down, let this love and longing…turn into vibrant butterflies and flutter away